There must be hundreds and probably thousands of podcasts that provide a regular, wealth of information and insights that help college and university students and recent graduates as well as others who are searching for early career job opportunities.
The best of these podcasts cover a wide range of topics, from the basics of the job search process to the future of work. They also feature interviews with experts and successful people who share their stories and advice. You could make a good case for any of dozens of the podcasts being included in a list of the top ten.
As I considered which to include, it struck me that most of these lists are based strictly on the categories chosen by the podcast hosts as well as some kind of popularity metric such as the number of downloads per month. But popularity alone is not indicative of quality. Sure, the highest-quality podcasts tend to be popular, but there are many really, really excellent podcasts that aren’t anywhere close to being the most popular. My top ten, with explanations, are below:
- The Job Hunting Podcast: A comprehensive guide to the job search process, including resume writing, interviewing, and negotiating salary. This podcast is a great resource for early career job seekers who are looking for guidance on how to land their dream job.
- Career Cloud Radio: Interviews with career experts on a variety of topics, such as finding your dream job, negotiating a raise, and dealing with workplace conflict. This podcast offers a wealth of insights from experts who can help early career job seekers navigate their careers.
- Ready is a Lie with Angie Lee: Advice for people who feel stuck in their careers, including how to find your passion, build your confidence, and take control of your career. This podcast is for anyone who feels like they’re in a rut and needs some help figuring out what to do next.
- Hey, Creator: A look at the intersection of creativity and entrepreneurship, including how to develop your unique voice, build a successful business, and live a fulfilling life. This podcast is for anyone who wants to use their creativity to build a successful career.
- The Hustle: A podcast for ambitious young professionals, covering topics such as personal finance, entrepreneurship, and career advice. This podcast is for anyone who is looking to level up their career and their life.
- WorkLife with Adam Grant: Insights into the science of work, including how to be more productive, build stronger relationships, and create a more fulfilling career. This podcast is for anyone who wants to learn more about the psychology of work and how to make the most of their career.
- The Leap with Sarah Frier: Okay, this one isn’t a podcast series but, instead, is one episode. But it is a pretty compelling one for anyone who feels stuck in their current life yet afraid of taking what could be a massive risk to make a massive change. This podcast is for anyone who is thinking about starting their own business.
- Masters of Scale: A look at the future of work, including the rise of remote work, the importance of lifelong learning, and the need for creativity and innovation. This podcast is for anyone who wants to stay ahead of the curve in the ever-changing world of work.
- 99% Invisible: Stories about the design of the everyday world, including how design can impact our lives in unexpected ways. This podcast is for anyone who is interested in the design of the world around us.
- Invisibilia: Explorations of the invisible forces that shape our lives, such as our biases, our social networks, and our sense of self. This podcast is for anyone who is interested in learning more about the invisible forces that shape our lives.