Why Intern at Health Care Service Corporation?
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions. The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 21,000 people in over 60 local offices. HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high quality, cost effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants, to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
This ten-week paid internship is located in Chicago, IL
What Are Your Responsibilities?
This position is responsible for actively participating in an Internship program that leverages your skills, knowledge, and capabilities, while exposing you to different methodologies and tools. This role will assist with applying emerging technologies to assist with developing best-in-class systems and solutions for our clients and members. Working closely with cross-functional teams in both our business and technical areas the Intern is responsible for learning specific aspects of the processes, programs, and technology. Additional project support, administrative tasks, and ad hoc requests to support business needs.
· Support team responsible for successful implementation of large-scale divisional activities that cross multiple functional areas
· Support the development of clear and compelling deliverables for multiple internal/external audiences, in presentations, reports, dashboards, intranet site content, etc.
· Collaborate with Operational and IT partners and other key areas that support the division
· Coordinate design, development and implementation efforts of user acceptance initiatives that cross multiple functional areas. Track initiatives and activities across the division to ensure proper handoffs and coordination happen between functional areas.
· Manage multiple small & medium priorities across projects to complete tasks on time.
· Supports divisional leadership meetings and projects on an ad hoc basis
· Comply with HIPAA, Diversity Principles, Corporate Integrity, Compliance Program policies and other applicable corporate and departmental policies.
· Maintain complete confidentiality of company business.
· Maintain communication with management regarding development within areas of assigned
· responsibilities and perform special projects as required or requested.
· Create a final internship PowerPoint presentation to share with department leadership covering the internship experience, the assigned project over the course of the summer, including the results along with any solutions or recommendations that can be leveraged by the department in the future.
What Do You Need To Be Successful?
· Demonstrated interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication
· Strong organization, prioritization and problem solving skills
· Strong analytical skills
· Practical, developed PC skills, especially Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
· Enthusiasm to learn & grow
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
· Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in fields such as business, marketing, economics, communications, health care management, life sciences, or other liberal arts areas
· Graduation date between December 2023 and June 2024
· A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
· Availability to work 10 weeks during the summer
· Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States (currently, we are not offering this program under OPT or CPT and are not sponsoring work visas for this role)
What Does the Internship Program Entail?
· Formal Intern Orientation to build business and industry acumen
· Challenging real-world hands-on project
· Weekly networking opportunities among interns and company leaders
· Professional development workshops
· Business Resource Group involvement
· Volunteer activities
We encourage people of all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Even if you don’t think you are a perfect fit, apply anyway – you might have qualifications we haven’t even thought of yet.