The Research and Development Technologist will lead projects and document results as well as the research of programs to drive cost optimization through formulation and processing efficiencies, create new prototypes for product development initiatives, and identify/approve potential ingredient and manufacturing suppliers.
- Develops new products and line extensions from bench top to commercialization.
- Performs pilot plant tests to generate product prototypes, documents, organizes product reviews, and provides verbal and written communication on progress of projects.
- Runs production tests at manufacturing plants developing commercially viable new products or reformulated products to improve quality.
- Works with on-line formulation data base system creating or adjusting product formulations.
- Maintains accurate project files, formulations, specifications and product/ project data.
- Works with cross functional teams (Marketing, Sales, Manufacturing, Finance, Engineering, Quality, Process Control etc.) on projects providing product development support.
- Improves product development skills though appropriate training, understanding USDA/ FDA regulations and hands-on working in projects.
- Assists other R&D team members if required to generate product prototypes.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Food Science or related field and 2+ years of relevant plant manufacturing experience in the meat processing industry, required.
- Master’s Degree, preferred.
- Strong scientific knowledge of meat, non-meat ingredients and their functionality. Able to work with pilot plant equipment with minimum supervision.
- Proficient in on-line work systems and product development software tools.
- Continuously improves and updates food/meat science and product development skills and understands all aspects of current plant process systems.
- Must have the ability to complete required applicable forms in English, which requires the ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to multi-task; strong interpersonal, communication, organizational and time management skills.
- May require travel up to 40% of the time.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.